My Heart Hearts Social Media Twitter Pinterest goodreads Tumblr youTube amazon Formspring Library Thing RSS Email

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Maybe One Day (Review)

Maybe One Day
By: Melissa Kantor

Zoe and her best friend, Olivia, have always had big plans for the future, none of which included Olivia getting sick. Still, Zoe is determined to put on a brave face and be positive for her friend.

Even when she isn't sure what to say.

Even when Olivia misses months of school.

Even when Zoe starts falling for Calvin, Olivia's crush.

The one thing that keeps Zoe moving forward is knowing that Olivia will beat this, and everything will go back to the way it was before. It has to. Because the alternative is too terrifying for her to even imagine.

In this incandescent page-turner, which follows in the tradition of The Fault in Our Stars, Melissa Kantor artfully explores the idea that the worst thing to happen to you might not be something that is actually happening to you. Raw, irreverent, and honest, Zoe's unforgettable voice and story will stay with readers long after the last page is turned.




I didn't know what to expect with Maybe One Day, but very early one I realized it's a little piece of awesome. I tried so hard not to cry. I made a promise to myself: don't cry. I almost made it, but I couldn't. I cried. I ugly cried. 

Very early on, I realized that Maybe One Day, was a cancer novel, but that's not what intrigued me about it. What intrigued me was the boy factor: I liked the idea of Zoe falling for Olivia's crush. I thought that was interesting enough, but the cancer aspect could make this betrayal even more complicated. It's crushing enough to deal with either issues, but together, the potential for a really amazing plot was endless. 

The thing I love about Maybe One Day is that it makes you try to keep hoping. Olivia doesn't deserve this. No one deserves cancer, but especially not Olivia. She's just one of those shining lights. She's a very optimistic person and when obstacles come her way, she chooses to be positive. There's a very real moment when she breaks down and confesses that she doesn't want to die and it breaks my heart. Death is a scary thing, that most people choose to ignore, until they are forced not to. 

Zoe on the other hand, is a darker person. Who generally sees the bad before the good. She's kind of snarky, but I liked it. Both girls balance each other out. Olivia's illness affects Zoe profoundly. Olivia is more than Zoe's best friend, she's like a sister. They are so close but at the same time Zoe realizes that's she's not really family. 

There are so many layers to Maybe One Day. There are so many things going on at all times during the novel, and it kind of feels like too much for one novel, but then isn't that life? Life is so complicated and sometimes you wish the other things can stop so you can focus on the most important thing, but you can't because life stops for no one. I think Maybe One Day perfectly captures that sentiment, because even though there's a lot of going on in the novel, they all still feel very relevant. 

My one minor issue is that the blurb makes its sound like Zoe falling for Calvin is a betrayal. I mean, it kind of is, but not in the way that you'd expect and it does the novel a disservice to suggest that Calvin and Olivia's relationship was anything other than what it was. 

You're probably a more emotional stable person than me if you don't cry while reading Maybe One Day. If you do cry, I don't blame you.

e- ARC provided by Publisher via Edelweiss.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you cried! Oh Aly I hope you had a stack of tissues handy! I have an ARC of this one myself I need to read but now I'm scared I'm going to cry! I don't wanna cry! haha great review :)
    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't a sob & I'm happy because of that, but I cry so easily. But I do think that that it's sad.

      Delete
  2. Your review has given me a boost to go back and finish it! Strangely, I wasn't able to get into it, but I'm in the beginning and I don't think I was in the right mood when I started it (my mood reading is horrible, I hate it). I love snarky characters so that's a great plus and people crying (especially ugly crying) is so interesting for me since I don't cry. I get emotional though so there's that (I sound so heartless, oops). Great review, Aly! I'm going to finish it thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an easy crier. I think this was a really good book though. It made me really happy and really sad.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I personally read every comment and try to reply. Thank you.

 

©2012 My Heart Hearts Books | Website Designed by Website Design Credit | All Rights Reserved

Powered by Blogger