My Heart Hearts Social Media Twitter Pinterest goodreads Tumblr youTube amazon Formspring Library Thing RSS Email

Monday, February 3, 2014

Blog Tour: #16 Things I Thought Were True (Review + Interview)

#16 Things I Thought Were True
By: Janet Gurtler

Heart attacks happen to other people #thingsIthoughtweretrue

When Morgan's mom gets sick, it's hard not to panic. Without her mother, she would have no one—until she finds out the dad who walked out on her as a baby isn't as far away as she thought...

Adam is a stuck-up, uptight jerk #thingsIthoughtweretrue

Now that they have a summer job together, Morgan's getting to know the real Adam, and he's actually pretty sweet...in a nerdy-hot kind of way. He even offers to go with her to find her dad. Road trip, anyone?

5000 Twitter followers are all the friends I need #thingsIthoughtweretrue

With Adam in the back seat, a hyper chatterbox named Amy behind the wheel, and plenty of Cheetos to fuel their trip, Morgan feels ready for anything. She's not expecting a flat tire, a missed ferry, a fake girlfriend...and that these two people she barely knew before the summer started will become the people she can't imagine living without.



I have been waiting to read #16 Things I Thought Were True since BEA when I heard that Janet had another book in the works. To say that I'm a huge fan of Janet Gurtler is an understatement. I'm in awe of  the way that Janet just gets and create the teen world. She understands their problems and all her stories are filled with problems that aren't exclusive to teens, it's not a teenage story, it's a story that features a teen and I love how she does that. It's like magic. 

#16 Things I Thought Were True is no different. When Morgan's mother get's sick and faced with her own mortality, she finally tells Morgan who her father is. Morgan can't let go of the idea of meeting her father and confronting him for abandoning her and her mother. Together with her seemingly uptight boss and a friend from work, they set off on a road trip to finding Morgan's dad. 

My favorite pert about #16 Things is that I thought I knew where the story was going. I had this vision of my head. This, this, and this would happen. End of story. I was okay with it though because although it might've been predicable, I thought the story would live through its characterization. Then I read and, bam, plot twist, I'm crying and I'm kind of a wreck. So if you think that you're getting another ordinary contemporary read your wrong. 

Yes, it's a little predicable, but there's no way that you can predict what's going to happen. 

It's so amazing and once again Janet doesn't disappoint. #16 Things I Thought Were True is such an honest story. It's some kind of indescribable wonderful. All the little things and big things come together in just the right way. 

e-ARC provided by publisher via Netgalley. 

Author Interview on My Heart Hearts Books
How is 16 Things different from the other books that you've written?
I think 16 Things has a little more romance in it than my other books. And while there are sad parts to 16 Things, I think it’s a little more upbeat in tone?  Maybe I’m wrong. I like sad.
How did you react to the change in the design from your other covers? Does that change represent a change in your writing or branding, or was is simply a stylistic change to mix things up?
 I really loved the new look. Like A LOT!  I think the change represents what is happening with contemporary YA covers. Trends change and the look is more modern I think and a really good representation of what the book is about.
In #16 Things, there’s a road trip to Canada. Was that a decision you made because you’re a Canadian, or because it’s fictional proximity to Canada? 
I TOTALLY wanted my characters to visit Canada eh!  The funny thing is the idea came to me when I was in Seattle! It’s so similar to Vancouver and being Canadian, I wanted to bring my characters over. I kind of picked a fictional town in Washington for all my books because it is so similar to BC. Which is an area I’m familiar with. Really we Canadians are just like you Americans. Only we really do say eh a lot. 
A common theme in all of your works, is teens tackling serious issues, how do you generally choose, what issue you want your protagonist to tackle? What comes first, the conflict or the story?
 My characters always come first. I usually see a character in a specific situation and then build a story around it. In 16 Things, I saw Morgan, goofing around with her best friend and then being isolated. The journey out of the isolation was her real road trip. Something I recently noticed as a theme in my books is the thread of friendship and friendship betrayal. I never really noticed that it shows up a lot in my work. I’m Not Her, If I Tell, Who I Kissed, all have a thread of it. How I Lost You focused on it more but it always shows up. That darn girl in Grade 8 who betrayed me.  
Are you currently working on anything new right now?
Yes! I am writing a book called THE TRUTH ABOUT US. It is a Sourcebook Fire YA and will be available in 2015 I think.   It’s about a girl who find love in the place she least expected to find it.
Meet The Author
Young adult author, Janet Gurtler, writes realistic young adult fiction for Sourcebooks Fire. Booklist has compared Janet’s work to Sarah Dessen and Jodi Picoult. Janet likes that a lot.

Connect With Janet
Blog | Website | Twitter | Tumblr | GoodReads 



2 comments:

  1. AHHH I've had my eye on this one for months ALY I'm so glad you liked it and that it didn't disappoint! I need an honest/different story to read!
    Great review :)
    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good. I always like Janet's stuff but this is definitely at the top of my list of her books. So good!

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I personally read every comment and try to reply. Thank you.

 

©2012 My Heart Hearts Books | Website Designed by Website Design Credit | All Rights Reserved

Powered by Blogger