My Heart Hearts Social Media Twitter Pinterest goodreads Tumblr youTube amazon Formspring Library Thing RSS Email

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Ignite Me (Review)

Ignite Me
By: Tahereh Mafi

The heart-stopping conclusion to the New York Times bestselling Shatter Me series, which Ransom Riggs, bestselling author of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, called "a thrilling, high-stakes saga of self-discovery and forbidden love"

Juliette now knows she may be the only one who can stop the Reestablishment. But to take them down, she'll need the help of the one person she never thought she could trust: Warner. And as they work together, Juliette will discover that everything she thought she knew-about Warner, her abilities, and even Adam-was wrong.


Spoilers Ahead!




I finished Ignite Me and although I wanted to like it, it left me with so many conflicting feelings. I don't know what I think of it. Did I dislike it? No. Was I in love with it? No. I just finished it, feeling so unsatisfied. This review is completely spoilery, so if you haven't read the book, you shouldn't continue. 

I think my main issue with the book (and Unravel Me & Fracture Me as well) is the breakdown of Adam's character. I think Mafi sets Adam up to be this really amazing guy in Shatter Me. I was Team Adam all the way. He's sweet and kind and really understanding and welcoming of Juliette. I loved it. I ate it up. I thought it was perfection. But then in Unravel Me, Adam and Juliette don't quite connect. It's a misconnection and I get it. It makes sense. Falling in love is easy. Being in love is so much harder. I understood the Warner appeal, even though I didn't buy into it myself. 

Except in Ignite Me, Adam turns into this complete asshole and I don't believe it. Ignite Me Adam is not the same person as Shatter Me Adam. I don't really mind Juliette choosing Warner. He's a legitimate option, my problem with the story, in regards to Adam, is that Ignite Me feels like the deconstruction of Adam's character. Adam appearance in Ignite Me is completely revolting to me. It's like he's only purpose in the novel is to legitimize why Warner is a better choice. Maybe if you're Team Warner it's satisfying but for Team Adam supporters, it's so confusing and disappointing. 

That being said, I want to emphasize that, I'm not bashing Juliette's choice because I understand it. But the entire novel just felt like an ode to Juliette and Warner. It felt like fan fiction. For most of the novel, it's build up. It's a Juliette and Warner world and something is happening on the outside too. A preparation for war. Then the war happens and it's over. And basically the story is over. 

I'm okay with how it ends. It's both a definite ending and an open ended ending. It ends on the conclusion of an event and still it's open enough so that the reader can continue on to imagine how it would progress. 

Overall. I finished Ignite Me and it didn't do much for me. I'm just confused and so disappointed. I don't think it was bad, but I think it was for me.  I'm just going to pretend Shatter Me is a stand alone. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this honest review! I feel the same way. I'm working on mine, which will be posted tomorrow and it's a bit more ranty. However I agree 100%. Something in the quality of the writing was a bit less than before. It was ALL about Juliette's relationship issues and it turned the characters into something they weren't previously (even Warner). It was confusing. I agree with you that the same end could have been achieved without destroying Adam's character. It felt desperate to make us believe this new direction, and it didn't work at all for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Thank you! It just didn't work for me. It felt so forced. I really didn't believe in the story. It felt stagnant for so much of the story. I get this it's supposed to be more about Juliette's transformation but there needed to be a lot more to the plot.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I personally read every comment and try to reply. Thank you.

 

©2012 My Heart Hearts Books | Website Designed by Website Design Credit | All Rights Reserved

Powered by Blogger