My Heart Hearts Social Media Twitter Pinterest goodreads Tumblr youTube amazon Formspring Library Thing RSS Email

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Mind Games (Review)

Mind Games
By: Kiersten White

Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future. 

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.

In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other—no matter the cost.



Before reading Mind Games I heard a lot of mixed reviews, but I received an ARC of Perfect Lies from HarperTeen, and I wanted to give it try for myself. Maybe it's because I'd didn't have really high expectations, but I really did like Mind Games. I though it was interesting. I loved Fia. 

Recently I've been enjoying books where characters have been behaving badly. I loved that and I connected with Fia because of it. That's probably why I isn't like Annie as much. I thought Annie's character weakened the story. Fia is fiery and out of control. I love every second of it.  She feels this responsibility to take care of Annie, even though Annie is her older sister, because Annie is blind. 

Trapped in school that exploits girls with extraordinary powers, the powers that be use Annie to control Fia. They make Fia do unspeakable things. When Fia is ordered to assassinate Adam both Fia and Annie's life change.

I haven't read any other reviews about Mind Games so I don't know what the consensus is about it in general but the weak part about for me was Annie. She seemed more like a plot device rather than a character. I hated being in her head. I couldn't connect with her. She seemed so weak and maybe that's because White wanted to slowly build her character, but it just seemed so slow. Especially because I just connected with Fia. It was instant. 

Because of that instant connection with Fia, I didn't mind all the terrible things she did. She's committed murder! White made me feel like murder was okay. That's not normal. So despite the good and the bad, I really connected. I wish it would've been only in Fia's POV though. 

My other favorite part about Mind Games is the lovey parts. It's not mushy. It's almost anti love. I wouldn't quite describe it as a love triangle because nothing happens with one guy and almost nothing with the other but it feels like both guys are viable love interest. Personally though, I was rooting for James. I know James is problematic because he's not this good guy, he's older, and so antagonistic. But still. There's something about him and the way that he connects with Fia that's mesmerizing. 


6 comments:

  1. I love anything by Kiersten, so I'm sure I'll love this when I read it! Great review :)
    -Becca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first KW experience and I like it! I was surprised because I heard mix reviews and I can't wait to go meet her on tour now.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you loved it, Aly! Most of my friends hated it, so I'm on the fence about it. Seeing I don't have the ARC of the second book, I think I'll pass for now :P Love your review, though! :)

    Faye @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's understandable. I don't think that it's the strongest book but some parts really work for me and the bad parts don't tank the book for me.

      Delete
  3. I felt pretty much the same way as you! I thought Fia's perspective was so delicious twisty. I loved her, but felt like Annie wasn't as interesting. James is also such an intriguing character. I'm glad you liked this one!

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah. Fia and James are so hot. Even though there not a lot of PDA in the book, I love that relationship aspect.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I personally read every comment and try to reply. Thank you.

 

©2012 My Heart Hearts Books | Website Designed by Website Design Credit | All Rights Reserved

Powered by Blogger