My Heart Hearts Social Media Twitter Pinterest goodreads Tumblr youTube amazon Formspring Library Thing RSS Email

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Blog Tour: Breathe, Annie, Breathe (Review)



Breathe, Annie, Breathe
By: Miranda Kenneally 

Annie hates running. No matter how far she jogs, she can’t escape the guilt that if she hadn’t broken up with Kyle, he might still be alive. So to honor his memory, she starts preparing for the marathon he intended to race.

But the training is even more grueling than Annie could have imagined. Despite her coaching, she’s at war with her body, her mind—and her heart. With every mile that athletic Jeremiah cheers her on, she grows more conflicted. She wants to run into his arms…and sprint in the opposite direction. For Annie, opening up to love again may be even more of a challenge than crossing the finish line.



Almost every time I read a book by Miranda Kenneally, I feel like the one that I'm reading is my new favorite and Breathe, Annie, Breathe is no different. Except, it might actually be my favorite Miranda Kenneally book. I loved the story that was being told and I felt like I connected with Annie. Also, I unashamedly swooned over Jeremiah like I'd never swooned before (okay, that might be a little white lie).

What I loved about Breathe, Annie, Breathe is that it tackled some very serious stuff in a very light handed way. Kenneally didn't feel the need to beat you over the head with emotions. I felt the seriousness of what was happening to Annie, but it didn't feel overwhelming. Kenneally has this skill where she can put a situation on the table and let you dissect it and analyze it anyway you want. I never felt like I was being pushed to empathize with Annie or feel sorry for her. Although I've never been in Annie's position (truthfully, out of all of Miranda's female protagonist, I probably relate to Annie the least – at least on paper), I understood the emotions behind the situation. The reluctance to move food, the fear of leaving something behind, the fear of trying something new, the determination to finish a goal. It was so relatable and that's what I loved about it. I could not get enough. 

I especially couldn't get enough of Jeremiah. I fall in love with book boys so easily, but I have a special place in my heart for Jere. Sorry Sam Henry. Sorry Ty. If there's one of Miranda's boys that I have to have is Jeremiah. Kenneally hasn't stingy with the hot and steamy moments in the past, but there a moment in Breathe, Annie, Breathe that's on of my absolute favorite. It's unexpected but I loved it. 

I've always admired Kenneally's ability to write YA, but she really does best herself this time. She understands teens and it's evident in all her work. I was so immersed in this story and this world, and even though I'm starting to get tired of being the Hundred Oaks world, I couldn't get enough. Breathe, Annie, Breathe is the kind of the novel that both feeds your soul and you crave. My only regret is that I couldn't stay in that world a little bit longer. 

e-ARC provided by publisher via Netgalley as a part of Xpresso Blog Tours.

2 comments:

  1. i am so jealous you read breathe annie breathe already. i love miranda's books and i managed to snag a copy at the ALA conference but i shipped it and my boxes hasn't come yet. ARGH!! it's almost going to be a month since the conference.

    anywho, i'm so happy to hear this book is her best yet. you made my already high expectations higher after reading your review :)

    -michelle @ Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I hope you get it soonish. I want you to read it so I can see what you think. This one is definitely hotter ;)

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I personally read every comment and try to reply. Thank you.

 

©2012 My Heart Hearts Books | Website Designed by Website Design Credit | All Rights Reserved

Powered by Blogger