My Heart Hearts Social Media Twitter Pinterest goodreads Tumblr youTube amazon Formspring Library Thing RSS Email

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Now and Forever (Review)


Now and Forever
By: Susane Colansanti

What if your boyfriend was the world's biggest rockstar?

Sterling is crazy in love with Ethan. Not only is he the sweetest boy she's ever met, but he's an incredibly talented guitarist, singer, and songwriter. And since forever, he's believed he has what it takes to be a star.

When Ethan becomes an overnight sensation, he's thrown head-first into the glam world of celebrity-and so is Sterling. Before she knows it, she's attending red-carpet premieres, getting free designer clothes, and flying around the country to attend Ethan's monumental sold-out concerts.

It's a dream come true...but whose dream is Sterling living? And what do you do when "forever" comes to an end?



I was so excited to read Now and Forever after talking to Susane Colasanti about a little at BEA and after watching to book trailer. It's not my first, second, or third time reading one Colasanti's books, but her book make me feel a range of emotions. Sometimes I absolutely love her books and I'm a sobbing mess, but then other times her books just miss the mark and I don't know what to expect. I always give her books a chance though because when its good, it's great. Still, I didn't know what to expect with Now and Forever.

I guess, Now and Forever isn't my favorite book or even, my favorite Colasanti book. I've thought long and hard about why that is though. I think my problem with this novel is that the parts that I wanted to be real, seemed too much like a tween fantasy, while the parts that I wanted to be a fantasy were too real. I also didn't like everything that was going on around the plot. It just didn't mean much to me? I think I got the "message" but I didn't enjoy it. 

Sterling is crazy about her boyfriend. That much is evident, even before the fame. But he's kind of the center of her world, even when she doesn't want him to be. Everything is about Ethan, directly and indirectly. Which annoyed me. Which isn't completely fair of me, but I couldn't help it. 

Ethan is supposed to be this big rock star. I get it. But Sterling just seems like this side character who's a part of his story. This was supposed to be her story about what's it like to be the girlfriend of this huge rock star, but I didn't feel like there was much to her. I wanted her character to be flushed out, I wanted her to go on her own journey, not ride the coattails of Ethan's. 

So, it was frustrating. There were some good moments too though, but they weren't enough to outweigh the frustration and the confusion of the story that was being told. 

One of those moments, is very early one when I caught an allusion to one of my favorite television shows, One Tree Hill. It's a small thing, like blink and you'll miss it, but I was so excited by the catch.

If I'm being honest, this is one of those stories you can skip over and not be sad.

Finished Copy was provided by Publisher.


2 comments:

  1. I was planning to skip this one unless I read that it blew people away. The rock star thing does seem kind of tweenish (based on the Disney shows my sister watches) and I would only want a book like this if it had lots of depth.

    Thanks for the honest review!

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was such a let down. I was suspicious from the start because of the rock star aspect, and I felt totally let down.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I personally read every comment and try to reply. Thank you.

 

©2012 My Heart Hearts Books | Website Designed by Website Design Credit | All Rights Reserved

Powered by Blogger