My Heart Hearts Social Media Twitter Pinterest goodreads Tumblr youTube amazon Formspring Library Thing RSS Email

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Strange and Ever After


Strange and Ever After
By: Susan Dennard

In the conclusion to the trilogy that Publishers Weekly called “a roaring—and addictive—gothic world,” Eleanor Fitt must control her growing power, face her feelings for Daniel, and confront the evil necromancer Marcus...all before it’s too late.

 He took her brother, he took her mother, and now, Marcus has taken her good friend Jie. With more determination than ever to bring this sinister man to justice, Eleanor heads to the hot desert streets of nineteenth-century Egypt in hopes of ending this nightmare. But in addition to her increasingly tense relationships with Daniel, Joseph, and her demon, Oliver, Eleanor must also deal with her former friend, Allison, who has curiously entangled herself in Eleanor’s mission. 

 With the rising dead chomping at her every move and Jie’s life hanging in the balance, Eleanor is convinced that her black magic will see her through to the bitter end. But there will be a price. Though she and the Spirit Hunters have weathered every battle thus far, there will be consequences to suffer this time—the effects of which will be irreversible. And when it’s over, only some will be able to live a strange and ever after.


Honestly, when I first started the series and when I finished A Darkness Strange and Lovely, all that I wanted is Strange and Ever After. But when I started reading it, I just wasn't as excited as I'd hope to be. I didn't know what it was and I still don't. Maybe it's because I didn't want this series to end or because I'm generally skeptical of series enders (because they don't usually live up to the hype). I don't know. 

But, what I can say is that I really liked Strange and Ever After, despite my lack of enthusiasm. Almost immediately after you start it, things starts happening. You immediately get that sense of adventure. It's very fast paced and I love it. It's like go, go, go, then wait, let's build up the tension even more, then go, go, go. Which really is amazing. The pacing and the plotting is on point. Those were my favorite parts of Strange and Ever After. 

As the conclusion of a series, I'm really really happy and satisfied with it. Is it perfect? No. But it's damn near. You're not going to get any complaints from me. Especially because of the ending. Even if I had any, which I don't, the ending more than makes for it. 

The ending is just...wow! It's brave and it feels real. Dennard makes a bold and brilliant choice to end the series the way that she did and I respect it. Even more than that, I envy it. It's explosive. I won't spoil it, but if you think that the crew remains unscathed, you're wrong. 

Strange and Ever After is an adventure book filled with imperfect characters and consequences that arise from their mistakes. There are some missteps and betrayals, but it makes for one of the stories that's unpredictable and absolutely thrilling. 

Strange and Ever After is the series ending that the story and characters deserved. 

e-ARC provided by Publisher via Edelweiss.

8 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the book Aly! I'm really interested in picking up the series. Great and honest review Aly!

    Happy Reading
    Patrick @ The Bookshelves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should! It's really good. So far it might be my favorite series conclusion of the year.

      Delete
  2. Great to hear that it was a satisfying ending even if the accompanying excitement wasn't there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's good, but I felt like I've been waiting for it. Sometimes the anticipation is good...sometimes no.

      Delete
  3. You've definitely got me curious about that ending now ;) I haven't read any of the books in this series (yet) but I really want to. Plus the pacing sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's so brave and I didn't expect it. Usually I think authors play conclusions too safe but Dennard didn't. I respect it.

      Delete
  4. Happy you liked it, love! :) I've thought of reading this one but… I'm still sort of having my doubts, you know? Haha! Perhaps someday! Great review, Aly!

    Lyanna
    www.bookbeasties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah, I totally get it. It's not my usual type of book, but I really adore the series!

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I personally read every comment and try to reply. Thank you.

 

©2012 My Heart Hearts Books | Website Designed by Website Design Credit | All Rights Reserved

Powered by Blogger