My Heart Hearts Social Media Twitter Pinterest goodreads Tumblr youTube amazon Formspring Library Thing RSS Email

Monday, July 21, 2014

Waiting (Review)


Waiting
By: Carol Lynch Williams

Growing up in Africa and Latin America as the children of missionaries, London and Zach were as close as could be. And then Zach dies, and the family is gutted. London’s father is distant. Her mother won’t speak. The days are filled with what-ifs and whispers: Did Zach take his own life? Was it London’s fault?

Alone and adrift, London finds herself torn between her brother’s best friend and the handsome new boy in town as she struggles to find herself—and ultimately redemption—in this authentic and affecting novel from award-winning novelist Carol Lynch Williams.





I totally didn't expect Waiting. I bought it randomly, with the vague intention of one day reading it, then I randomly picked the title out of my tbr jar. I didn't check out the summary on GoodReads or anything, I just went into blindly. Which I'm so glad.

I hadn't heard much about it before, I vaguely remembered seeing the cover on Goodreads, but once I started, I was pretty much sucked in. I objectively realize there are things in the novel that might put people off (the use of religion and how the protagonist deals with her grief), but I found it compelling and intriguing. 

I loved formatting and the writing and the story. It was captivating. Both in a good way but in a bad way. When London's brother, Zach, dies it throws London and her family through a loop. They stumble through life afterwards, unsure how to make things right again without Zach. London's home life especially is wrecked. Her mother blames her for Zach's death and her father doesn't know how to make everything okay because everything isn't okay. 

At first London just withdraws, but when Lili and Jesse arrive into town, it restarts her life in a way that she didn't know was possible. 

Waiting takes place in a very short window, of a few weeks. It's the little capsule of pain but it's so truthful and honest and vivid. 

I honestly wanted to hate London's mom, and if I'm being completely honest, a part of me really does. But then, I think to myself, I've never lost anyone that close to me, let alone a child. I don't know what it feels like, so I don't like to judge her. Waiting is just one of those novels that you get more if you suspend judgment and just observe.

It takes place in such a small window, that I knew there couldn't be this huge change. I felt like something big was going to happen, a well deserved explosion, but it would only be the start. I'm glad that I was kind of right, but I was completely right.

Waiting is a book for anyone who has ever grieved. 

2 comments:

  1. This looks really fantastic - I'd never read the synopsis until I read your review... and I vaguely remember the cover as well. But it sounds like something I'd really actually like... I mean, grief books always seem to hit you hard and leave you hanging. Awesome review, sweets! I'll try to check this one out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really amazing. It's so underrated. If you do ever read it, I can't wait to see what you think. Especially about the boys of the book.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I personally read every comment and try to reply. Thank you.

 

©2012 My Heart Hearts Books | Website Designed by Website Design Credit | All Rights Reserved

Powered by Blogger